Have you been using WhatsApp for business communications? If so, you’ve probably come across situations where you need to send a single message to multiple customers. Whether you’re announcing a seasonal promotion, inviting customers to your events, or reaching out to them about the product they’ve shown interest in, being able to send bulk messages can help you be more efficient.
Well, you can send bulk messages on WhatsApp business. However, keep in mind that WhatsApp’s Terms of Service does not allow unauthorised bulk-sending. So, how do you send messages to multiple recipients on WhatsApp without breaking the rules?
In this article, we explain how to easily send bulk messages on WhatsApp Business, so you can update many customers at once. Before diving into the topic, you may want to know what WhatsApp Business actually is.
What is WhatsApp Business?
WhatsApp Business is a business version of the WhatsApp messenger. It comes with extra features such as automated replies, customer support, and analytics that make communicating with clients easier.
If you’re concerned that switching to WhatsApp Business will affect your regular WhatsApp conversations and settings, don’t worry! Most of the features of WhatsApp Business are quite similar to the regular WhatsApp messenger. And you can also restore all your WhatsApp data and conversations while converting your account to WhatsApp Business.
If you need help switching over, check out this guide on how to change your WhatsApp to a business account.
How to send bulk messages on WhatsApp Business
WhatsApp Business comes with extra features that are useful for business communications – and they’re not complicated to use. It works just like regular WhatsApp and you’ll not even feel like you’re using another app.
Setting up bulk messages and sending them takes only a few steps on WhatsApp Business. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open WhatsApp Business.
- Go to chats and tap on ‘Broadcast Lists’ (right above your conversation list).
- Search and select the contacts you want to message.
- Press OK.
- Press Create.
- Create the message you want to send.
Now you’re all set to send your bulk messages on WhatsApp Business.
Why use WhatsApp Business to send bulk messages?
Well, you might think why you should even bother using WhatsApp Business when you can send bulk messages through the regular WhatsApp? After all, you need to install a new app and then replace your existing app with it to do the exact same thing. Well, it may be partly true, but what you need to know is that WhatsApp Business is much more than just bulk messages.
WhatsApp Business is specifically designed for business communication and comes with a range of features that you can leverage to manage your messaging more effectively. Here are some reasons why you may want to choose WhatsApp Business to send bulk messages:
- Business profile: WhatsApp Business allows you to create a business profile that includes important information such as your business address, description, and contact details. Sending business messages through a business profile is more professional and recipients are more likely to trust you.
- Automated messages: WhatsApp Business allows you to set up automated responses for messages when you’re not available to reply or you receive messages outside of your office hours. This provides immediate responses to customers queries so they don’t feel ghosted.
- Message labels: With WhatsApp Business, you can use labels to organise your chats and keep track of customer inquiries, orders, and more.
- Catalog feature: The Catalog feature of WhatsApp Business allows you to share your products and services within the app. This is a great feature for businesses and isn’t available on regular WhatsApp.
- Messaging statistics: WhatsApp Business provides access to basic metrics like the number of messages read, which can help you understand more about your communication and improve your messaging over time.
What are the benefits of sending bulk messages on WhatsApp Business?
Though you can use regular WhatsApp to send bulk messages, the app isn’t designed for business communications. It’s a private communication app and lacks a few important features.
WhatsApp Business, on the other hand, is built for business communications and comes with features like automated messages, customer support, and analytics. Some of these features can be really useful to create an effective communication strategy with customers. Here are some notable benefits of sending bulk messages on WhatsApp:
- Efficiency: With the ability to send messages to larger groups of people at one go, you save time and energy compared to individual messaging.
- Multiple engagement: Bulk messaging allows you to engage with many people at once. You can share updates, offers, or information about your products or services, improving customer relationships and engagement.
- Personalised communication: Despite being a bulk message, you can still personalise your messages, which can lead to better responses from your audience.
- Automated replies: On WhatsApp Business, you can automate replies, making your business messaging more convenient and efficient.
- Analytics: WhatsApp Business provides you with the ability to track whether messages are delivered and read, which can be crucial for follow-ups and tracking your message’s effectiveness.
- Cost-effective: Compared to traditional marketing methods like SMS or email marketing, WhatsApp Business can be a more cost-effective method for reaching your customers, because it’s free to use.
Best practices for effective bulk messages on WhatsApp Business
Bulk messages can definitely save your time and effort when it comes to communicating with a large number of people. However, following specific best practices can supercharge the effectiveness of your messages, helping you score a better engagement and conversion rate. Here are a few tips for effective bulk messages on WhatsApp Business:
Keep your messages short and to the point
People generally do not have the time or patience to read lengthy text messages. Therefore, it’s always a good idea to keep your messages brief and to the point. This isn’t about simplifying things to the bare minimum, but respecting your customer’s time and delivering value quickly. Think of it as a ‘less is more’ approach. A well-composed short message can be very powerful.
Use a variety of message types, such as text, images, and videos
Text can convey a lot of information, but sometimes a picture or video can communicate so much more and do it faster. Don’t limit yourself to just one type of message. For instance, an image might be perfect for showcasing a new product, while a video could be great for explaining how to use it. But keep in mind that whatever you choose to send, it should add value to the conversation and be relevant to the recipient.
Send your messages at the right time
Timing is crucial in communication. Research and have an idea about when your customers are most likely to engage with your messages. For example, if your customer base is working professionals, early morning or evening might be the right time. But it could be different for stay-at-home parents or students.
You can create different broadcast groups for different types of customers. Asking the customers when they’d prefer receiving messages can be one of the best ways to figure this out.
Avoid sending too many messages
While it’s important to maintain communication with your customers, bombarding them with messages can be counterproductive. The goal is to add value, not to overwhelm. Too many messages can lead to your customers muting your chats, blocking your number, or even reporting you. As a rule of thumb, only send a message if you have something important or valuable to share.
Track your results
Finally, it’s vital to measure the effectiveness of your bulk messages. Tracking your results can provide valuable insights into what’s working and what’s not. Knowing which messages have the highest open rates and what’s leading to highest customer engagement can guide your future strategy and help you improve your messaging over time.
Can Bulk messaging get you Banned from WhatsApp?
The key is in sending a clear message so your recipients know you and the purpose of your message.
Considering a few minor things can help you avoid such situations. Here’s a list:
Make your messages as clear as possible
First and foremost, you want to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of your messages as much as possible. Therefore, focus on making them clear and concise. Be straightforward about what you’re offering or the information you’re sharing. A well-articulated, brief message respects your customer’s time and reduces the chances of the message being misunderstood.
Introduce your business (or yourself) clearly
Introducing your business or yourself in the message is crucial, especially if it’s the first interaction. Users can be quick to report or block numbers that appear suspicious or unfamiliar. Make sure to mention your business name and what you do, and consider including a website link or other reference where users can verify your legitimacy.
Do not make your message look transactional
WhatsApp tends to flag messages that seem transactional or resemble typical spam messages. It’s important to make your messages seem like a part of a conversation, not just a one-way broadcast. Try to engage your customers, ask them questions, and initiate a dialogue rather than merely sending information.
Do not send too many messages to the same person in short intervals
WhatsApp’s system is designed to detect and prevent spam, and sending a high volume of messages to the same person in a short period can flag your account as spam. To avoid this, maintain a reasonable frequency of messages. Don’t rush to send all your information at once. Instead, spread it out over time, and give your recipients the chance to respond and interact with your content.